The Little Hideaway

This is my little hideaway. It's little, and hidden away.

Give it a read. IT'S PROBABLY WORTH IT.

Because you never know, I might be writing all sorts of stuff about you.

Friday, 30 October 2009

Blackbird singing in the dead of night.

Well HELLO there blog that I never update!!

How's it going? Did you miss me? That fallingthroughceilings blog is a total attention whore.

Anywho.

Something finally happened in my life which is worth writing about over here :D That's nice, isn't it?


I started work today at the old folk's home. I know it was long time ago that I mentioned that I'd got the job, but the manager went on holiday which sort of brought my application process to a halt.

It's really hard work. I spent about 50% of today just watching other people do the actual work, and I'm still really tired! I have been on my feet all day though.

I started at 9 in the morning with my new manager, going through some rather tedious paperwork. Then she had to go and I was sent to spend the rest of the morning with two staff members who showed me various lifting devices as we went and got some people out of bed. We also helped a lady put the telly on (she's in love with Colin Firth's Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice).

After that I helped a little bit to put up some decorations for Halloween - I was a little bit unsure about putting up pictures of skeletons and tombstones in a place full of elderly people, but they all seemed to find it quite exciting (even the lady who thought we were coming up to Easter..)

Then we served lunch. Fish and chips for most of them, with apple crumble for dessert (well, those are the options that I would have chosen, which is, of course, the important thing..)

Lunch was actually a pretty lengthy affair but there were no actual qualifications necessary so I was able to join in too, which was hard work but better than standing around.

After that (it was about 2 o'clock by now) I was told to go and eat something, but because I hadn't actually thought to bring any lunch (well done, Katrina) I went over to the nearby ASDA and got muself a bowl of chips from the cafe there lol. I know, I'm so classy.

Then I went back in and got on with the afternoon stuff. I was put with two different members of staff, who were just as nice and easy to get along with. We went around checking some of the flats to give people their medication. We put one lady into bed so that she wasn't sitting in her wheelchair all day. It seems like they've got different lifting equipment for everyone so I'm going to have to learn how to operate them all in the course I'm going on soon.

Once we'd done that then we went and made sandwiches for dinner, I'm sure I did a grand old job in spreading the butter on bread haha. We'd just finished that when the manager came for me and we finished off with all the paperwork and I was allowed home.

Not sure when I'll start doing proper shifts, but I've got a meeting and three training courses coming up so it's all fun fun fun ahead! (Well seeing all the money add up in the bank will definitely be fun anyway!)

Okay I'll stop writing now.

PS. I'm being paid £6.89/hour! :D That is flipping loads! I should have earned £48.23 just from today :)