The Little Hideaway

This is my little hideaway. It's little, and hidden away.

Give it a read. IT'S PROBABLY WORTH IT.

Because you never know, I might be writing all sorts of stuff about you.

Friday, 13 July 2007

when you're older, you will understand

So yesterday I saw Shrek the Third, and it was pretty good - at least, better than I expected. The medieval highschool was pretty hilarious, as was Artie's teenage angst. Readdyyy OK!

But all of this fades into nothingness in comparison to the film I saw later in the day: HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX. I think I have fallen in love with this film xD

(prepare yourself for the Harry Potter geek to come out to play. If you haven't seen the film yet, I advise you to go away..)

Siriusly, it was awesome. Obviously not as good as the book - but we all expected that. Definitely the best so far (as is always the case when a new Potter film comes out). Well done David Yates (Director) - it was brilliant.

Favourite bits:

-Luna Lovegood!! And her shoes!! She was so funny xD She was played by Evanna Lynch, who is Irish :D Every time she came on screen I was grinning xD

-Bellatrix Lestrange. Oh. My. Life. Thank you, Helena Bonham Carter (wife of Tim Burton) for being SO AWESOME. She was excellent, and wonderfully crazy.

-Ron Weasley. As always, one of my favourites. He was hilarious though, so leave me alone. It was really fun to hear the bursts of laughter from the whole room, I don't think quite so many people have seen one film at once since the last Potter film :P "Don't worry Hermione. I'll go easy on you." LOL then Hermione's all *kicksronsass*

-Tonks and Kingsley Shacklebolt. Thank you, Tonks, for remembering to have a clumsy moment & a rolls-eyes-at-mad-eye-moody moment. Thank you, Kingsley, for saying that "Dumbledore got style" line so beautifully xD xD

-Draco & Lucius Malfoy. Brilliant, as always. Every time Lucius was on screen, could not help but remember Jason Isaacs (who plays him) talking about his 'Paris Hilton Wig'...

-Umbridge was perfect. The cats! The cardigan! (I can only agree with Lavender on not wanting to borrow it) But I didn't like her lol. I know you aren't supposed to like her, but I like all the other characters like Voldemort. Well done, Jo Rowling, for writing a character that I don't like :P

-Grawp! This doesn't happen much, but I think I like the film version more that the book version! The bicycle bell xD

-The editing! Whoever edited this film was a genius. It was a really good idea to use clips from previous films. I hope that the person who stuck Snape into the background of the Mirror of Erised from the first film had fun showing off their skillzz :P

-Yeah, okay, Harry and Hermione were pretty good too... xD

Bits I wasn't so keen on:

-Nobody had enough screen time. I know the films was 2 hours and 20 minutes lol but we needed more :P When it ended I was like "nooooo!!!" xD But really, it's the shortest film of the series so far. But the longest book. Something doesn't quite add up. It felt a bit like like they were trying to make the film as short as possible in the hope that it would get them settled nicely at the same length as the others, but they took it a bit too far and ended up telling the basic outline of the story.

-Dumbledore. I am SO disappointed with Micheal Gambon. He has yet to show the side of Dumbledore that people love so much. Film!Dumbledore lacks the quirky side that Book!Dumbledore has. He's more angry and he's not very good at making Harry feel equal like Book!Dumbledore tries to do. I sort of wish Gambon would read the books. Or that the original Dumbledore hadn't died after film two.

-Hermione. Emma Watson's brilliant, but she's too pretty. It's stuff like that which makes the films Hollywood-ised. It's not a major issue though lol xD

-Snape's worst memory. It was a shame that they cut that down so much. It would have added about 10 minutes to the film at most to do it properly, and then we could have seen why Snape hates Harry so much - as well as seeing his parents and the marauders who were cast so carefully. At the same time, it was pretty cool to see Snape as a younger person, at least.

-Excess of extras. They just aren't that necessary lol. Sure they're good for when it's a shot of the whole school, but when it's a Dumbledore's Army meeting.. I mean, we're supposed to have already 'met' everyone who's in the DA, yet there were a couple of people who just sort of appeared. And that Nigel kid - why couldn't Colin Creevey come back? :/

-I know that OotP is an extremely long book, and it must have been hell to cut it down. However, I can't say that it's particularly easy to understand for anyone who hasn't read the books. This was a pretty important thing to take into consideration, seeing as it was the one Harry Potter book which people were most likely to give up on reading and just wait for the film. For example, the dementors in Little Whinging are not explained, the reason people don't believe Harry is not explained, Dumbledore's Army is not formally referred to by its name until Dumbledore is actually arrested, and we don't hear the actual prophecy - so the 'neither can live while the other survives' thing isn't explained properly. Maybe it'll persuade people to read the book. If you're reading, and you haven't read it, go read it now. and the other five. Quick - before the seventh one comes out! xD

-They changed some really simple things. The mind-reading spell that Snape uses is changed to 'Lengenement' instead of 'Legilimens', Bellatrix kills Sirius with Avada Kedavra instead of stupefying him into the veil, and Harry actually gives Lucius the prophecy. I don't know, I suppose they aren't particularly big mistakes, but there should be an obsessed Harry Potter fan (like me xD) who's hired to watch every scene being filmed and make sure everything matches perfectly with the books :P

Right okay. I have plenty of other things to say, but I'll just sound even more like a geek, and I doubt anyone really wants to read my thoughts on the film lol.