..since I last posted, but not a great deal has been happening.
I started helping Year 7s to read on Wednesday, which is weird. I don't feel particularly important or knowledgeable as it is, so it's a bit weird to be teaching people all of a sudden. Both the people I've had so far have picked fairly advanced books, considering the reading age that I was told that they'd have, and they've come across one or two words that I wasn't entirely sure about, which is somewhat disheartening. But it's quite interesting, they appear to have this strange level of respect for sixth formers, as if we're particularly special because we don't wear a uniform. At the same time, I'm pretty sure I was the same when I first joined the school.
Also, we went down the humber road and bought pizza on Wednesday and decided to call it 'Pizza Day'. That was pretty awesome, but I couldn't anything else for the rest of the day.
I keep listening to Busted. I'm not entirely sure why. And your great-great-great-granddaughterr is pretty finneee.
I was thinking about the way that's spelt today. I know, I'm weird. But most people spell it grandaughter or grandad, yet it's still grandma and grandson. I've always spelt it Granddad, because it makes more sense to me (Grand-Dad), but is that actually how it's supposed to be spelt? I know I'm weird, and I apologise to anyone who's like 'omgosh nerdd'.
And that leads nicely on to the events of today.
Today was... interesting. It was the funeral, as you may have guessed.
All the way there we were very Lindley-ish and cheery, which I felt a little bit guilty about. I mean, you're supposed to be all gloom and doom at funerals, aren't you? But after a while I realised that we're just not cut out for doom and gloom. I mean, how exactly do you expect us to make our way through life if we're just crying all the time?
Eventually we got to Cirencester and we went to the Church Hall to put up some pictures of Granddad before the funeral. Then we went to Grandma's house, after a little while cousins started to appear.
OMGOSH. They're all so BIG.
lol.
I was just like "um.. you're related to me?"
Dizzy, who was 5/6 last time I saw her, is now gigantic (or, you know, nine years old) and Bee is the same age as the kids who I'm helping with their reading lol. Rosie is about the same height as me, and apparently looks just like Auntie Annie (but I'm rubbish with noticing stuff like that) and Stefan has Robin Hood hair xD
Toby (with a tongue piercing) and Rhiannon (with a purposefully wonky fringe :P) are also very tall and scary, but they're less chavvy than I expected them to be, which was nice. They didn't really talk to us at first, or even stay in the same room as us for very long, but after the actual funeral they lit up a bit and they're pretty cool.
Anywhoo, we went to the church, sat in the wrong place, moved, didn't have enough song words & were sharing one booklet between four. We never get these things right xD
They brought the coffin into the church, which was horrible. That was probably the nearest I came to crying. I'm not big on being in the same room as dead people. Then again, it would've also been slightly odd if he hadn't been there too. Funerals in general, I gather, are slightly odd.
Then we went to the actual graveside thing. That was less horrible than I thought it would be. I TV and films everyone is always weeping very loudly next to the grave, and it's raining, and everyone's in black, and it's all very Hollywood.
For anyone who's never been to a funeral, it's not really all that Hollywood. There was this weird chill as if everyone had frozen when the coffin actually went into the grave, but I don't recall anyone crying, especially not noisily. And it wasn't raining, just cloudy. And the two youngest of my cousins were wearing bright pink (because Uncle Eddie wisely decided that little girls shouldn't ever wear all black).
After that we all went back to the Church Hall (where we put up all those pictures) and had some lunch. That part was good, everyone cheered up a bit and worked together to make a good attempt on the food which had been optimistically prepared for 50 people. We stayed for about two hours just talking to the relatives, which was good, because we haven't seen them for so long. There was a lot of food though :P
In conclusion, all my relatives are very lovely and it was a big shame to lose Granddad. However, I'm sure he's somewhere better now than he was when I last saw him.
Rest In Peace,
Gordon Lewis King.
:)