The Little Hideaway

This is my little hideaway. It's little, and hidden away.

Give it a read. IT'S PROBABLY WORTH IT.

Because you never know, I might be writing all sorts of stuff about you.

Friday, 7 September 2007

Duke of Edinburgh!! Yayy!

Went to DofE this evening! Yayyyyy!

I love DofE. I love the people (including the leaders & random people who hang around sometimes) and the church where we do it. Oh and the things we're meant to be doing are pretty good sometimes too xD

There were loads of new Bronzes there today - I swear we were never so LOUD. It's kind of weird that they're in Year 10 now because I clearly recall the days when they were tiny and in Year 7. Some of them have actually grown, which deserves congratulations in itself xD

For Gold there is only one skill group being run, and everyone else has to find their own. Being the lazy-face that I am, I obviously picked the one they were offering. They've spent about £400 on each person doing the course so I'm guessing it'll be pretty interesting :P Today we just did introductions and icebreakers, but on one of the sessions we'll actually get behind the wheel of a car and drive it with a fully trained driving instructor which I'm looking forward to (even though I know I'll probably be terrible at it, and I'll just scream all the way around).

One of the icebreakers we did today was this game where you go around a circle and ask the leader if you can go to his picnic. You have to tell him that you'll bring a certain type of food and if it's the right type then he says you can come. But the catch was that you had to say a type of food that began with the same letter that your name begins with, otherwise you wouldn't get to go. I twigged after the first round and I explained it quietly to Beth who was sitting next to me. I don't know if Stephen heard me or if he worked it out, but Stephen got invited to the picnic first, then Beth, then me and it took some people ages to figure it out :P Those sorts of logic games always make me feel clever xD

So anyway, I just got home. As I was pondering what little snack might be nice, there was this big ugly spider on the floor next to me! I pretty much all but screamed. I did the whole 'leap on a chair' thing that you thought you only saw in cheesy films. I then ran from the kitchen to the living room and picked up the nearest vaguely big book (my mums pretend-pocket bible) and ran back to the kitchen, closed my eyes, threw the book down to where I thought the spider was, and missed by a couple of inches.. So then I had to run back again and pick a bigger book (Turkish-English Dictionary from the old days) and this time when I threw it I forced myself to keep my eyes open and it was horrible but I hit it and then I stood on the book to make sure it was really, really dead. Then I had to get a bunch of tissues and wipe the dead spider corpse off the dictionary which is no pleasant job for your average arachnophobic, squeamish 16 year old (but there was nobody else home that I could get to do it for me).

And now I'm a little bit too scared to go back in the kitchen even though I'm kinda getting hungry :(